Me

Me

Friday, April 26, 2013

I WISH UPON A LITTLE STAR...

... THAT I COULD COOK FOREVER and never take another biology course.
Cooking for me is an escape, something that makes me feel like I can do whatever I want and succeed.

Like for instance tonight I experimented with Healthy Alfredo.
I've seen posts about using cauliflower ( huh?) I tried that but all I tasted with the vegetable broth and the cauliflower.  And to be honest, that is nothing close to Alfredo.

SO in turn I just felt like I could make something better than the version full of heavy cream and eggs and butter.  My recipe isn't like a salad but hey, for a pasta sauce with tons of flavor and about 350 calories per serving I think I did pretty well.

So here it is.. Yes I am sharing my dirty little secret.


Healthy alfredo
1 TB olive oil
½ cup greek yogurt
½ c lowfat cream cheese
2oz of goat cheese
1/4c-1/2 c almond milk or full fat milk
1 TB flour
½ cup white wine
½ lemon (juice)
1 cup or less or parm
1 onion
5 cups of spinach ( I large bag)
2 garlic cloves
salt and pepper
red pepper flakes (to taste)
½ pound of pasta.
 ~ First, heat olive oil in a saute pan on medium heat and adds sliced onions.  Cook until tender. Add salt to soften the onion ( only a little)
~ add red pepper flakes (start with a small amount you can always add more later)
~ Add spinach and half the amount of parmesan. (save the rest for sprinkling last minute)  Cook until the spinach is wilted and the water form the spinach has reduced.
~In a separate pot, boil some water for the pasta.  Put the pasta in.
~ Return to the saute pan and add the minced garlic and then the white wine to deglaze the pan.
~ cook for a little bit. Meanwhile mix together the goat cheese, cream cheese, greek yogurt, lemon juice, and milk of choice.  Once mixed add that to the pan and stir all together.
~ Once that all has heat a bit sprinkle in the flour trying your best not to let it clump. Stir around with a fork to separate all the spinach onions and evenly distribute the flour.
~ Let it cook until it thickens a bit.
~ The pasta should be done by the time you are done making the sauce.  Do not strain it completely but use one of those handy dandy scoopers with the small holes in it to transfer the pasta to the sauce.  (you want to bring a little pasta water with the pasta)
~ mix it all together and let it sit for a little in the sauce to absorb it.  
BON APPETITE!!! 
                                                              xoxo 
                                                                      Rachel

No comments: